by Harriet Heath
This book is a guide for parents who want to nurture their children lovingly and thoughtfully by asking parents:
- What is the situation about which you are concerned and/or in which you see opportunities for growth?
- What are all the ways you and any interested others can think of as ways of dealing with the situation?
Parents then ask which of the ways that they have brainstormed are:
- True to my Quaker faith and beliefs?
- Opportunities for modeling and teaching the testimonies and values?
- Considerate of the needs, feelings and individuality of each person involved? Possible given the circumstances in which I am parenting?
- The ways thus selected make a plan.
Parents mindfully live their plan.
They review their experience and contemplate next steps.
The book is used during the workshop, Parenting
creatively in a Quakerly Manner discussion series.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Where are we going?
I. Maintaining a Close Relationship with Children
Tuning into Your Child Exercise
1. What is the situation?
Being Mindful in Retrospect Exercise
2. What are your choices?
3. Guides for deciding which options to implement:
What are your beliefs?
Indentifying Beliefs Exercise
What are your values?
Identifying Values Exercise
Analyzing a Value Exercise
What are the needs of the people involved?
Seven Basic Needs Chart
What are their feelings?
What are the individual characteristics of those involved?
Development of Thinking Chart
Identifying Temperament Traits Exercise
Identifying Learning Styles Exercise
What are the family characteristics?
Styles of communicating
What are the conditions in which you are living?
4. Making a Plan
Molly’s Plan to Guide Her Children
5. Implementing Your Plan
Molly’s Implementation of Her Plan
6. Reflecting on Your Plan